OE&H assists in historic cemetery restoration

  The tombstones at St. Nicholas were buried by the navy when construction began for the Patuxent River Naval Air Station in 1943. In 2003, sixty years later, a group of volunteers began the recovery and restoration of these buried markers. To date, 60 markers have been recovered, repaired, and re-erected.

  While most of the stones were small enough to be recovered with brawn and simple mechanics, one stone in particular proved too much for crews to lift. The 2 ton granite burial marker of John and Mary Jane Hilton required lifting with heavy machinery. Orchard Excavation and Hardscaping volunteered the use of their backhoe and time to lift and replace this mammoth memorial.